Monday, March 9, 2009

February 28

“Do not say, ‘I cannot endure to suffer these things at the hands of such an one, nor ought I to endure things of this sort; for he hath done me great wrong, and reproacheth me with things which I never thought of; but of another I will willingly suffer, that is, if they are things which I shall see I ought to suffer.’
“Such a thought is foolish; it considereth not the virtue of patience nor by whom it will be to be crowned; but rather, weigheth too exactly the persons, and the injuries offered to itself.
“He is not truly patient, who is willing to suffer only so much as he thinks good, and from whom he pleases.”

THOMAS à KEMPIS

“If thou wilt thyself be borne with, bear also with another.”

THOMAS à KEMPIS

“Endeavour to be patient in bearing with the defects and infirmities of others, of what sort they may be; for that thyself also hast many failings which must be borne by others.
“If thou can’st not make thyself such an one as thou wouldest, how can thou expect to have another in all things to thy liking?
“We would willingly have others perfect, and yet we amend not our own faults.
“We will have others severely corrected, and will not be corrected ourselves.”

THOMAS à KEMPIS

No comments:

Post a Comment