Tuesday, December 15, 2009

September 9

“God brings good out of evil, and sometimes what we call evil is not so evil in reality as what we in our ignorance would put in its place. These perplexities cannot always be explained; but many of them can and are. Many times what we fancied was hurtful has been of the greatest service; what we flinched from has made us happier; what we dreaded has come and gone and left a blessing behind it. Many a time what we longed for has been denied us, and the denial has made us happier than if we had obtained it. He must be very short-sighted indeed who cannot see in his own life many instances of his having been led by paths that he did not know.”

Bishop TEMPLE

“I see the wrong that round me lies,
I feel the guilt within;
I hear with groan and travail-cries
The world confess its sin.

“Yet, in the maddening maze of things,
And tossed by storm and flood,
To one fixed stake my spirit clings,
I know that God is good.

“The wrong that pains my soul below
I dare not throne above;
I know not of His hate – I know
His goodness and His love.”

WHITTIER

No comments:

Post a Comment