Monday, December 21, 2009

September 11

“Thou art my rock and my fortress; therefore for Thy name’s sake lead me, and guide me.”

PSALM xxxi 3

“Lead, kindly light, amid the encircling gloom,
Lead Thou me on;
The night is dark, and I am far from home,
Lead Thou me on.
Keep Thou my feet, I do not ask to see
The distant scene, one step enough for me.”

J. H. NEWMAN

“The crosses which we make for ourselves by our over-anxiety as to the future are not heaven-sent crosses. We tempt God by our false wisdom, seeking to forestall His arrangements, and struggling to supplement His providence by our own provisions. The fruit of our wisdom is always bitter. God suffers it to be so that we may be discomfited when we forsake His fatherly guidance. The future is not ours; we may never have a future; or if it comes, it may be wholly different from all we foresaw.”

Fénélon

No comments:

Post a Comment