Tuesday, August 4, 2009

July 14

“Oh, dark is the background to the sunny landscape of our comfortable lives. Behind our rich houses and costly comforts are bleak rooms and worn clothes, through which the wintry wind drives its dagger, where starvation creeps into the bed with mother and child and eats into blood and bone, where, at the best, life is a long and weary strife against the force of laws which pitilessly inflict their worst sentence upon the innocent and weak. This is a ghastly burden, and it lies heavy upon millions in this country.”

STOPFORD BROOKE

“I have just been looking over a newspaper, one of the most painful and solemn studies in the world, if it be read thoughtfully. So much of sin and so much of suffering in the world are there displayed, and no one seems able to remedy either. And then the thought of my own private life, so full of comforts, is very startling when I contrast it to the lot of millions whose portion is so full of distress or trouble. May I be kept humble and zealous, and may God give me grace to labour in my generation for the good of my brethren, and for His glory!”

Dr ARNOLD

No comments:

Post a Comment