Monday, June 1, 2009

June 5

“But as an effectual remedy against this fault, (judging others hardly), I would remind thee to occupy thy thoughts with the defects of thine own heart; for thou wilt hourly perceive more and more that thou hast so much to do and work in thyself, and for thyself, as to have neither time nor inclination to attend to the deeds of others.”

SCUPOLI

“Of all spirits, I believe the spirit of judging is the worst. . . Looking for the faults, which I had a secret consciousness were in myself, in other people, and accusing them; instead of looking for their faults in myself, where I should have been sure to find them all, - this, I find, has more hindered my progress in love, and gentleness, and sympathy, than all things else.”

F. D. MAURICE

“It so often happens that others are measuring us by our past self, while we are looking back on that self with a mixture of disgust and sorrow.”

GEORGE ELIOT [pen-name of Mary Ann Evans]

No comments:

Post a Comment