Wednesday, November 10, 2010

November 28

“To a young girl who had just left school, she wrote – ‘I think this is such an important year of your life, and such a difficult one; the getting into regular employment when you have to plan it for yourself. I used always to be getting more to do than I could manage; there is great fret and worry running after work, it is not good, spiritually or intellectually. I wish I could help you; but I am so often in this state myself that I hardly know how. I think I find most help in trying to look on all interruptions and hindrances, to work that one has planned out for oneself, as discipline, trials sent by God to help one against getting selfish over one’s work. One’s work for God consists in doing some trifling, haphazard thing that has been thrown into one’s day. It is not waste of time, as one is tempted to think. It is the most important part of the work of the day – the part one can best offer to God. After such a hindrance do not rush after planned work, trust that the time to finish it well will be given some time, and keep a quiet heart above it.’”

ANNIE KEARY

“Perhaps there is nothing so irritating to others as a morbid passion for order. Dis-ordered order is the most active cause of disorder. Over-restless activity is the parent of a despairing in-activity in others.”

STOPFORD BROOKE

No comments:

Post a Comment