Monday, July 27, 2009

July 8

“We can’t choose happiness either for ourselves or for another; we can’t tell where that will lie. We can only choose whether we will indulge ourselves in the present moment, or whether we will renounce that for the sake of obeying the divine voice within us, for the sake of being true to all the motives that sanctify our lives. I know this belief is hard; it has slipped away from me again and again, but I have felt that if I let it go for ever, I should have no light through the darkness of this life.”

GEORGE ELIOT [pen-name of Mary Ann Evans]

“Things which could never have made a man happy, develop a power to make him strong. Strength, and not happiness, or rather only that happiness which comes by strength, is the end of human living.”

PHILLIPS BROOKS

“To love God is our Happiness, to trust in Him is our Repose, to surrender ourselves entirely to His will is our Strength.”


CHARLES BEARD

No comments:

Post a Comment