Wednesday, May 27, 2009

June 1

“I am not one who much or oft delight
To season my fireside with personal talk, -
Of friends who live within an easy walk,
Or neighbours daily, weekly, in my sight:
. . . . . .
Better than such discourse doth silence, long,
Long, barren silence, square with my desire;
. . . . and books we know,
Are a substantial world both pure and good;
Round these, with tendrils strong as flesh and blood,
Our pastime and our happiness will grow.
There do I find a never-failing store
Of personal themes, and such as I love best;
. . . . for thus I live remote
From evil-speaking; rancour, never sought,
Comes to me not; malignant truth, or lie.
Hence have I genial seasons, hence have I
Smooth passions, smooth discourse, and joyous thought.”

WORDSWORTH

"When with dear friends sweet talk I hold,
And all the flowers of life unfold;
Let not my heart within me burn,
Except in all I Thee discern.”

KEBLE

No comments:

Post a Comment